Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Three Weddings and a Funeral - 19 plane flights and over 5000 miles driven

For those who know us, it is no surprise that we are traveling all over this summer and that our travel plans are a little on the crazy side.  But this year it is turning out to be more crazy than normal.
Let's back track a bit...

April 7th, 2012
I received a call from my brother, Bob.  My Mom and Dad had been in a car wreak.  Mom was fine however, Dad was in the hospital and the car was totaled.  My brother sounded so stressed.  My parents live a good 45 minutes from Kansas City which is where my brother lives and the hospital.
After talking with him more and my husband, we decided that I could go help out.  My youngest is in an online school so we could simply take his school work with us.  We already had plans for Spring Leadership in Spokane, WA April 20th, so I would leave after that.

April 25th, 2012
Jared and I take off driving toward Kansas.  We arrive on the 27th.  Dad was doing well in rehab however, it was taking a long time for him to get his strength back.  For pictures of that trip click on this facebook link: First Kansas Trip

May 3rd - 6th, 2012
Jacob drives to and from Colorado Springs, CO to train at the Olympic Training Center.

May 14th, 2012
Dad gets out of rehab and we head home with a short stop in western Kansas to visit my brother-in-law and sister-in-law, Joel and Becky and mother-in-law, Norma Jane.  We arrive home on May 16th.  The yard is a 8" high, the koi pond and pool are both green... YUK!

May18th, 2012
Jeff comes home to Phoenix for the weekend and we attend a family friend's wedding.  John went to Florida for his friend's wedding.  Jacob goes to Speed Skating Regionals in Citrus Heights, CA.

May 22nd, 2012
My brother calls, Dad took a tumble and fell.  He is back in the hospital for observation.

May 23rd, 2012
They send Dad to the Heart Institute, he didn't fall, it actually was his heart.  His implanted defibulator went off while he was home.  He isn't expected to make it through the night.  We decide for me to fly back ASAP.

May 24th, 2012
I fly back to KC and arrive at the hospital mid afternoon.  My nieces, sister and brother are all there with my mother.  They decide to move Dad out of the ICU and into comfort care.  Dad had signed a DNR the day before.  John helped Jared finish his last 3 days of school! Which wasn't a small task, he still had 3 major projects to finish and submit.  The sitting in the hospital continued for 4 days.  Dad was alert, aware and talkative.  He wasn't in any pain so he wasn't on any pain meds.  At 3am on Memorial Day morning, Dad's heart finally gave out.

May 28th, 2012
Mom and I go back to the farm and begin the week of planning.

June 1st, 2012
Jacob flies from San Jose, CA and meets up with Jeff in Phoenix.  They fly to KC.  John is a groomsman in a wedding on June 2nd.   After the wedding, John, Jordan and Jared start driving to Kansas.

June 3rd, 2012
Dad's memorial service.  Three of the boys were still on the road, they miss the service but arrive at the farm in time to see some family.

June 4th, 2012
Dad's internment in Ft. Scott National Cemetary, with full military honors.  He was a WWII vet, you can go to the link to see the memorial video and obit: William Reynolds Obit
John, Jordan, Jacob and Jared all take off driving for Phoenix.

June 5th, 2012
Jeff and I fly back to Phoenix.

June 7th, 2012
Jacob flies back to San Jose, CA. and it's my birthday... oh ya, the pool is green AGAIN!

Now time to plan our summer travels!!!

I'm living on the eighth day, right now!

No comments:

Post a Comment