Friday, January 1, 2010

The Three-Legged Stool

Anyone who knows me has heard me talk about my "list".  That is my list of questions that I have for when I get to heaven.  Several of those have to do with numbers.  "What is so significant about specific numbers?"  I'm sure that when I ask, "What's significant about the number 3?" The answer will probably be, "Because without 3 legs a stool would fall over. DUH"  As I have studied the significance of three, I have been struck by Matthew 22:37 - 40, Jesus replied: 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' This is the first and greatest commandment.  And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two comandments.  I have come to believe that ALL of life "hang on these two".  The second, of course, is commonly referred to as the golden rule.  The first, is about our personal relationship with God. 
So I have come to believe that all important aspects of life can be melded down to three catagories or areas: heart, soul and mind or physical, spiritual, and mental.  Since the book The Slight Edge has inspired this blog, the author lists 5: Health, Personal Development, Relationships, Finances, and Life. Well, as I see it, Health and Finances are "Physical", Personal Development is "Mental" and Relationships is "Spiritual". Finally, Life is the overall big picture, isn't it?
So here are my goals and daily disciplines organized into 3 areas:
Heart - Physical - health/finances
Goal: Lose 30 pounds in six months.  Get debt free in 2 years.
--> 30 Minute Exercise
--> ate fruits or vegies
--> followed payoff plan
Soul - Spiritual - relationships
Goal: Deepen my relationships with God & my husband.  Expand the number of people I impact this year.
--> Prayed with prayer partner
--> Talked to Jeff
--> Reached out to one more
Mind - Mental - personal development
Goal: Stay on track with my personal development DAILY!
--> listened to audio
--> read 10 pages
--> blog checklist
Did you notice there were 3 items in each area?  That wasn't on purpose, it just happened!!!  There's that number again.  In the coming days I will discuss how I came up with each one of these in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment