Friday, January 1, 2010

Why???

As I was evaluating 2009 and looking forward to 2010, I recieved an email about our personal development program.  "The 2010 reading list is now available at http://www.leadingbyreading.blogspot.com."  Looking at the list, we are again using John Mawell's Today Matters as the outline for the year.  The book for January is Jeff Olson's The Slight Edge. I was very excited about it and dug out my beat up copy (pages are actually falling out).  Then I realized I actually never "finished" the book.  Last year, when I read it, I got to Chapter 11 and was told to use a pencil and write my goals and to "not skip this".  I was traveling at the time, on an airplane, so I stopped, didn't want to "skip" it.  Then I ran out of month, put the book up and moved on to the next book, the next month.  So I read AND filled out the last two chapters.
So now I have written my goals and my "simple" daily disciplines.  Now I want to track it so that is "WHY" this blog.  I want to keep a journal of this process, see where it goes.  I am open to everyone's insights and unique points of view.  I just ask that you grant me the grace to be human along the way.  The whole point is to learn and change and become a better person.  Why should anyone else care about me becoming better?  Maybe you would like to join the journey for yourself?  Why should we even worry about "self" improvement?  Well, I believe in the "Man in the Mirror" effect, I can only control myself and if I want the world to be better I need to start with myself.
I plan to write on a daily basis for the first 21 days because it takes 21 days to establish a habit.  Then I will continue to at least update the daily check list but will probably only write once a week or so.  To give me a couple of days to "wrap up" things and get organized I will be starting on Sunday January 3rd, 2010.  Plus, that gives me "even" weekdays.  So I will begin by sharing the philosophy behind my goals and what exactly my daily disciplines are.  

1 comment: